study and work permit in norway

If you are looking to live, study and work in Norway, then you’re in the right place. We’re here to help you make your move to Norway as easy as possible.

A work permit is required for a non-EU/EEA citizen who, to be self-employed or employed, needs business premises or a certain equipment in Norway. The prerequisite for a work permit in Norway is an application from your employer who can prove that no Norwegian citizen or resident of the EEA applies for the job.

Norway is a great country to live and work, free of taxes, with high quality of life and a culture that promotes sports and outdoor activities. Moreover, Norway has an unemployment rate that rarely goes above 2%. In this guide, we will explain in detail the steps to move to Oslo or other cities in Norway, get the desired residency permit, find jobs, and enjoy another place from the view of a tourist.

If you are planning to study or work in Norway, there are certain requirements you must meet.

First, you must apply for a study or work permit from the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI). You can apply for this online. The UDI will then send you an application form which should be filled out and sent back to them along with your passport, a passport photo and other relevant documents. You will also need to pay a fee of NOK 1,600 (around $200 USD).

You will also need to have proof that you have enough money to support yourself while studying in Norway. This can be done by providing bank statements showing that you have at least NOK 30,000 ($3,500 USD) in your account. If the bank statements are not in Norwegian Kroner (NOK), they must be converted into Kroner at the current exchange rate by an approved currency dealer.

If your studies are longer than six months, then you will also need to provide proof that you have health insurance coverage during this time period. You will also need to provide proof of accommodation during your stay in Norway; this can be done by providing one of these documents: A letter from an employer/sponsor stating where they will provide housing for their employee;

Norway is a country that welcomes international students, and it has been ranked number 1 in the world when it comes to how easy it is for international students to find a job after graduation.

Norway has a study and work permit that lets you take up jobs while you’re studying in Norway.

Norway is a wonderful country to live in and study. The people are very friendly and the country itself is beautiful. It has a temperate climate with four seasons, but it does not have extreme temperatures.

The Norwegian government offers many types of visas for those who wish to come and study here. The first type of visa is the Schengen visa, which allows you to stay in Norway for up to 90 days as a tourist or for business purposes. The second type of visa is the residence permit, which allows you to stay in Norway for up to three years. This type of visa allows you to work in Norway as well as study there.

The third type of visa is called an “extended residence permit”, which allows you to stay in Norway indefinitely if you have been granted this type of visa.

Eligibility for a Norway Student Visa

To get a Student Visa for Norway, you have to comply with the following requirements:

  • You must have been admitted into a Norwegian university or college.
  • The university or college must be accredited by the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education’s (NOKUT).
  • Your course of study must be full-time.
  • You must have enough money to cover your tuition and living expenses. You need at least NOK 123,519 (appx. USD 13,600) per year of living expenses, in addition to the tuition cost. You must keep this in a Norwegian bank account.
    • The money can be from your own funds or student loans or grants.
    • If you get a part-time job, you can include the money from this toward the required amount.
  • You must have found accommodation in Norway.

Norway Student Visa Requirements

The documents you are required to submit when applying for a Norway Student Visa are:

  • Your passport. You must also attach copies of the used pages on your passport.
  • The Norway Student Visa Application Form. You print this out once you have completed the online application on the Immigration Directorate website.
  • Two passport-size pictures of yourself. They have to be taken recently and have a white background.
  • The Letter of Admission into the school. The letter must state your name, your course of studies, the level of studies, and the length of the programme.
  • Proof you have enough financial means to sustain your stay in Norway. For example:
    • Proof you receive grants or funds, such as a Statement of Support from the State Education Loan Fund (Lånekassen).
    • The bank statements from a bank account in Norway. You may open a bank account yourself or your university may open one on your behalf.
    • A work contract (part-time), which states the hours you will work, your salary, and the duration of the contract.
  • Proof you can pay your tuition (if required). E.g. the payment receipt from the university, or show you have the funds through one of the means described above. The tuition money must be in addition to the money you need for living expenses.
  • Proof of accommodation. You must prove that you have somewhere to live, if you were to go to Norway to study. For example:
    • Written rental contract, if you are renting
    • If your school provides you accommodation, they must state it in the Admission Letter.
  • If you apply from a country other than your home country: Proof that you are there legally (I.e. a Residence Permit).
  • For minor applicants (15-18 years old):
    • Birth certificate
    • The Consent Application for a residence permit for children/minors to study in Norway form, which is on the UDI website. Your parents or legal guardians must complete and sign this. Alternatively, they may write a Statement consenting to you studying in Norway and sign it.
    • Copy of your parents’ or legal guardians’ passports.
    • If only one parent has custody: Document from the relevant public authority, confirming it.
    • In the event that one of the parents has passed away: Death certificate.
  • The printed checklist of the required documents. You can print this from the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI).

Document guidelines:

  • You must hand in the original documents, along with copies of them.
  • The documents must be either in English or Norwegian. If they are not, submit a translation of them, along with the original. The translation must be done by a licensed translator.
  • You may have to legalize some documents through an Apostille Stamp, such as civil documents.
  • Do not forget the checklist print-out.
  • Some embassies may ask for additional documents, depending on your country and your specific situation

For students from countries outside the EU/EEA/EFTA
A student may work part-time for up to 20 hours per week when a work permit is granted. An application for a work permit should be accompanied by a statement from the institution confirming that the work will not affect the study progress. A letter from the employer stating that the student has a job offer must also be submitted.

Students are normally allowed to work full time during semester breaks.

Please note that the majority of institutions do not have on-campus work study schemes, and foreign students will have to compete on the regular job market.

Applications for a work permit may be submitted to the local police station.

Please see the website of the Norwegian police to locate the nearest police station.

For students from countries in the EU/EEA/EFTA
A student may work part-time up to 20 hours per week for up to three months without a work permit. The student is automatically given a work permit for part-time work when granted a student residence permit.

Students from countries in the EU/EEA/EFTA do not need to show statement from the institution that the work will not affect the study progress, nor does the student need to show a job offer confirmation from employer.

Students are normally allowed to work full time during semester breaks.


With the expansion of Touriago, the site has the opportunity to serve more students who want to study in Norway and earn money at a part-time job. Different people have different reasons to study abroad, but motivated students will find Touriago as a valuable resource. Those who are really interested in studying in Norway also need to be prepared for visa applications, travel costs, housing arrangements etc. Those expenses can be covered by part-time jobs while they’re living in Norway and studying. All these things should be extremely helpful for those who are really interested in pursuing their dreams and studying in Norway. Indeed, is an excellent platform that enables global education and helps international students.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *