student work permit in south korea

Do you want to study in South Korea, but don’t know where to start? Read our complete guide on how to obtain a student work permit in South Korea based on our personal experience.

Acquiring a student visa for South Korea is relatively simple. The necessary documentation can be easily prepared, so you can start school as soon as possible.

Attaining a student visa or work permit in South Korea was no simple task. It took me ages, but I finally got it. By now, you’re wondering, how could I possibly share some of my experiences that could help others? Could it be that you’re new to this and want a little guide? Or maybe you already have your student visa and are looking for more information. Regardless of the situation, one thing is for certain; you’ll find what you need here.

The student work permit is a very interesting topic. Students can only work in South Korea if they go through the correct channels and procedures. This article will explain how to get a student work permit in South Korea, as well as what you need to do after you have one.

The first thing to know about getting a student work permit is that you need to have your own personal identification card (ID) issued by the Korean Immigration Office. You cannot get a job without an ID; it is not possible for you to get one until after you have gotten your student visa and arrived in South Korea. Once you have arrived, it is possible for you to apply for an ID at the immigration office nearest where you live or work. In order for them to issue this card, however, they need proof that you are indeed a student at their university or college and also proof of residence (your lease agreement).

After this has been done and your ID card has been issued by the immigration office, it is time for you to start looking for jobs! The best way to do this is through word-of-mouth recommendations from friends or family members who already live here in Korea. Another option is checking out job boards online like [link]. This website lists all available

Student Work Permit in South Korea

Getting a student work permit in South Korea can be a little tricky, but it’s not impossible! Here’s how to do it:

  1. First, you’ll want to schedule an appointment with your school’s International Affairs Office or someone who handles international student affairs. They will help you fill out the necessary paperwork, which includes a form that allows you to apply for your work permit and another form that grants permission for your employer to hire you. You’ll need to submit these forms along with your passport and other documents.
  2. After submitting your application, the school will send it on to the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), which will process it within 10 business days. If everything checks out with no problems, then they’ll send you an approval letter that states they have approved your application and are allowing you to work while studying abroad in South Korea!


Do you want to go to university in Korea? In this article, we look at what visa you need and how to apply for a student visa to South Korea, step by step.

1. Decide which visa you need

What kind of visa you can apply for depends on your nationality and for how long you will study in Korea. There are four different visa variants to choose from for those who want to study in South Korea:

Take a short course on visa waiver – up to 90 days for most nationalities

Citizens of EU (except Cyprus and Portugal), the United States, Australia and many other nations are entitled to travel to Korea for 90 days as a tourist without a visa. Canadians can stay for 180 days while Portuguese and Russians can stay for 60 days. Some nations are limited to 30 days, and some countries cannot travel to Korea without a visa. Read more here.

You can take a short program on visa waiver in South Korea within your allowed time limit. You can, for example, take a language course at Lexis Korea or a summer course at a university. If you don’t have time to apply for a student visa to Korea, it might be possible to enter Korea on visa waiver and switch to a student visa after you arrive but before you have overstayed your visa waiver. Please talk to your school before attempting this solution. We recommedn applying for a student visa before going to Korea.

From September 1, 2021 you can travel to Korea on visa waiver again but you must register online no later than 24 hours before departure by applying for K-Eta and pay a fee of 10000 KRW (about 7,5 Euro). Your K-Eta will the be valid for entrance in Korea for two years unless you change passport. When traveling on visa-waiver, you get a stamp in your passport on arrival, and you don’t need to apply for a visa back home. Please note that you must be able to show that you leave Korea within the allowed time period. You don’t need to have a return ticket home; you can show a ticket to another country as well as long as you can prove that you will leave Korea on time. The airlines usually check this when you check-in, and without an exit ticket, you might be denied to board your flight to Korea.

If you need to stay in South Korea for more than 90 days, and you can’t apply for a student visa (for example, if you take a long language course at a school that can’t sponsor a student visa), you can leave South Korea temporarily and go back again to extend your stay with another 90 days. For example: You leave South Korea on day 88 of your visa waiver to visit Tokyo during a weekend. When you return to South Korea, you get another 90-day stamp in your passport. Note that you can only do this once. This is a loophole and nothing that the authorities in South Korea would recommend. Please double-check with your school to see what they recommend before attempting this.

Student visa – valid for your entire study period

If you are planning to study at a Korean university for more than 90 days, then you should apply for a student visa. To apply you need a Certificate of Admission from a Korean university. To obtain such a document, you usually need to pay for at least 2 terms of 10 weeks each. Korean universities provide 4 terms of 10 weeks per academic year.

A student visa is called a D-visa, followed by a number that varies depending on what you will study in Korea. On a student visa, you can apply for the right to work part-time after you have studied in Korea for six months. Talk to your university for more information.

Working Holiday visa – study or work for a year in South Korea

Another option for those who want to stay for a longer period of time in Korea is the WorkIing Holiday visa (H-1 visa). It’s valid in a year; you can only get one’s life when you are between 18-30 years old. On a Working Holiday visa you have the right to work and study at private institutions such as language schools.

According to our latest information South Korea has Working Holiday Agreements with Australia, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, UK and The United States. Read more about the Working Holiday Visa at the Korean Embassy.

Family Visas – The best visa for people of Korean heritage

If you have previously had Korean citizenship or if you have a parent or grandparent who has had it, you can apply for a F-4 visa that is only available to people of Korean heritage. This visa entitles you to work and study in Korea for two years without any restrictions. Then you have the opportunity to extend your visa. Read more about the F-4 visa here.

During the remaining steps, we will primarily focus on the student visa since that is what most students would apply for.

2. Apply to a school in Korea

Before applying for a student visa, you must apply and get admitted to a Korean university. Universities often have specific application windows. For the application you usually need:

  • The school’s application form
  • A copy of your passport
  • Your high school diploma in English
  • Proof that you have can finance your studies in Korea (usually at least $10000)
  • Motivation letter

We can assist you with the application to study abroad semesters and degree programs in English at Hankuk University of Foreign studies in Seoul and korean language courses at Konkuk University in Seoul and Yeungnam University in Daegu. Then you do not need to submit a financial statement.

3. Get your visa documents (if you have applied for a university)

After you have been admitted to a university program, it is time to pay the tuition fee (which usually is very reasonable in Korea) and get a good study abroad insurance. Once it has been paid the university will send you a Certificate of Admission. When you have received this document, you can apply for a student visa at the Korean embassy in your home country. If you wish to enter Korea on a student visa, we recommend that you pay your tuition fee no later than 2 months before your program starts. This should give you enough time to receive your admission documents and apply for the visa. If you don’t have enough time to get a student visa before your program starts you can travel to South Korea on visa waiver, as a last resort, and transfer to a student visa on-site as we described under headline 1 above. Contact your school for more information about this before you leave.

4. Apply at the Korean Embassy in your country

You apply for a visa at the Korean embassy in your home country. Here you can find the addess, website and other contact details to the Korean embassy in your home country.

Contact the Embassy or your school if you have questions about the visa application. Below you which documents that is usually requested at the embassy when you apply for a student visa or Working holiday visa. Please note that this information might differ for different embassies and nationalities so make sure to check the instructions on the Korean Embassy’s website in your country for more details.

For student visa

  • Your passport in original with a copy of the photo page. The passport must be valid at least 6 months after the planned entry to Korea.
  • Visa documents from a Korean university CoA or Confirmation of Visa Issuance (where you fill out section 2 and 3.5)
  • Visa application fee
  • During the pandemic you will also need to fill out a Health Condition report form and take a Covid test within 48-hours of departure. If you are unvaccinated or come from a country where quaranitine is mandatory you will also need the Consent for Isolation form. Check with the Korean embassy for details.
  • 1 passport photo (not needed for students with a Confirmation of Visa Issuance)
  • A filled in visa application form (see the embassies’ website for an updated version).
  • Some Embassies might also ask for Proof of financing and your high school diploma, so always double check with the Korean Embassy or Consulate which documents they need.
  • If you attend a university exchange program, additional documentation may be required.

For working holiday visa

  • Your passport in original and a copy of the photo page. The passport must be valid at least 6 months after the entry to Korea.
  • A filled in visa application (see the embassies’ website)
  • Visa application fee
  • 1 passport photo
  • Proof that you have access to at least $ 12,000
  • A return ticket within one year
  • Proof that you are insured during your stay in South Korea
  • A one page description, in English, of what you will do in South Korea
  • During the pandemic you will also need to fill out a Health Condition report form and take a Covid test (before arriving in Korea). Check with the Korean embassy for details.
  • A health certificate filled in by your doctor

All documents must be in English or Korean. Don’t forget to double check with the Embassy which documents are required in your country.

5. Get your visa

In Sweden it usually takes about two weeks to get your visa after the Embassy has received your visa application. Waiting times might differ in other countries. Contact the embassy if you are short of time to see if they can help you faster. You must collect your visa personally at the Korean Embassy unless you use a visa agency that does the job for you.

A student visa is usually valid for entrance in 3 months after issuance, and you can currently stay in Korea for 6 months before the visa needs to be renewed, but to some schools you can get visas that last longer without renewal. Your school can help you with this if you take a longer course at a university. Please note that these data can differ in various countries so double check what is written under Validity Period of Visa and Period of Stay on your student visa.

6. Flight and landing card

From April 1, 2022 quarantine is no longer needed for fully vaccinated students (by WHO standards) who preregister their vaccination status before arriving in Korea. You need a negative Covid-test (PCR-test), with a result written in English or Korean, taken within 48 hours of flying to Korea. For more details see the website of the Korean embassy in your country.

Make sure to leave enough margin if you book your flight before you have received your visa. Otherwise, you can book it as soon as your visa has been issued but then prices might be higher. Do not forget to get a good student insurance for your studies in South Korea.

On arrival to South Korea you will be asked to fill in a landing card. If you are traveling on visa waiver, you can indicate that you should check Tour. If you enter on a student visa, you should check Study.

7. Alien registration and possible visa extension

Foreign nationals with a visa that lasts for longer than 90 days shall apply for an Alien Registration Card at the Immigration Office in Korea. Apply within your first 90 days in the country to avoid fines. If you have travelled to Korea on visa waiver you cannot apply for Alien Registration until you have switched to a student visa. Your Alien Card can be used as an ID card in Korea. An alien card in combination with a single entry visa can serve as multiple entry visa according to the Korean embassy.

If you extend your study period in Korea or if you were unable to secure a student visa for your entire stay before traveling to Korea, you may apply for / renew your student visa on-site. First, you pay the school for remaining semesters then you can go to the Immigration Office to prolong your visa. Talk to your university for more instructions.

Conclusion is a vacation rental and tour guide site that offers services for student tourists in Seoul. It introduces cheap travel packages with the best food and tourist attractions in Korea. The inspiration was to make the most of college students’ free time rather than practice exams and test. The target audience are young people who want to experience Korean culture while taking a vacation. As the tour companies we cooperate with already have set off, we hope you do not have to go to each company one by one but check out our site first!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *