student visa in the uk

Do you want to study in the UK? The Study UK team at Touriago will assist you with a student visa, so you can get recognized as a student and legally travel to the UK for your studies.

Touring the world on a student visa can be very exciting. The opportunities to travel are endless and it’s fascinating to learn about new cultures, meet new people and learn more about yourself in the process. There are things you need to consider before embarking on your great adventure, however.

Moving to a new country can be an exciting yet daunting experience. Culture shock can be a major cause of stress and can ruin your experience studying abroad. Touriago exist to make the moving process as smooth and painless as possible. We provide accurate information, tools and services to help you to discover the UK whilst enriching your experience when exploring or relocating here.

Student Visa in the UK

If you are a student, you can apply for a visa to study in the UK. You will need to be accepted at a school or college before you can apply for your visa. To be accepted, you must have been offered a place on an approved course and be able to show that you have the money to pay for all your fees and living expenses while you are studying (at least £1,000 per month).

You will also need enough money to support yourself while you wait for your visa application to be processed. This means that if your application is rejected, you will not be able to stay in the UK as a visitor until it is approved.

If you’re planning to go abroad to study, it’s important to know how to get a student visa. A student visa is a document that allows you to live in the country where you’re studying for a certain period of time.

A student visa is for someone who is pursuing an education at an accredited institution outside their home country. It allows them to stay in that country for a certain amount of time, usually one year. The length you can stay depends on how long your degree program lasts and what kind of degree it is.

Some countries require students from other countries to have an education visa before they can apply for residence permits or work permits. Other countries allow foreign students who are already enrolled in a university or college to apply directly for residence permits or work permits without first obtaining education visas. In some cases, this may mean that you’ll have to apply for both types of visas at once—for example, if you’re applying for a student visa and then applying for a work permit at the same time (or vice versa).

If you are looking for a reliable, helpful visa agency to help you with your student visa needs, you won’t go wrong with Touriago. It is a new agency built on providing personable, reliable service which every student will appreciate.

Applying for your student visa

If you are 16 or over and want to study a course at higher education level in the UK lasting longer than six months, it is most likely that you will need to apply for a student visa through the Student Route 

Follow this step-by-step guide to applying for your student visa:

Step 1: Apply to your chosen university (or universities) and receive an unconditional offer.

Step 2: Once you have received your unconditional offer, and you have accepted it, your university will give you a document called a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (or CAS).

Step 3: Once you have your CAS, you can begin the visa application process. You can apply for your visa up to six months before your course starts. You will need to pay an application fee (£363 for students) and have a current passport.

  • European students: If you’re from an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you can use the UK Immigration: ID Check  app on a smartphone to complete the identity stage of your application. 

Step 4: As part of your application, you will need to pay a fee called an Immigration Health Surcharge. This gives you access to the UK’s National Health Service. Students receive a 25 per cent discount on the usual cost, so the rate for student visa holders is £470 per year. 

  • European students: If you have an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you may be able to apply for a refund of the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge. Check the GOV.UK website  to find out if you are eligible to apply for a refund.

Step 5: As part of your student visa application, you may need to prove your knowledge of the English language. Different universities have different requirements, so make sure you check what form of English language evidence you will need with your university.

Step 6: You will need to complete your application and have it accepted before you arrive in the UK.

Your university will provide you with advice about your visa application, so don’t be afraid to reach out for support. Some universities have dedicated immigration advisors that are on hand to support international students with their visa application.

Other types of visa

Visitor Route

If you’re studying in the UK at an accredited institution for less than six months, you can do this as a visitor.

Many students (including those from the European Union and other eligible countries) won’t need a visa for courses lasting less than six months. 

Students from some countries will need to apply for a standard visitor visa to do a short course in the UK. Check if you need a visa to study in the UK. 

If someone you know is coming to visit you on holiday to the UK, they may need to apply for a visitor visa. Find out more about a visitor visa. 

Short-term Student Route

Short-term student visas are available to students who want to study English language courses that are between six and 11 months long. Find out more about the short-term study visa 

Child Student Route

If you’re aged between four and 17 years old, you can apply for a child student visa to study at a school in the UK. Find out more about child study visas. 

Can I work in the UK on a study visa?

Many international students in the UK take a part-time job, work placement or internship alongside their studies. For most courses, you will be allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during term time. Before you consider looking for work, check your visa and biometric residence permit and check your university’s rules to see if there are any restrictions to the type of work or number of hours you can do. 

  • European students: If you do decide to do part-time work in the UK, this could impact your eligibility for a refund on your Immigration Health Surcharge payment, so make sure you consider all of this when thinking about if you need to work alongside your studies in the UK.

Find out more about the hours and types of work you can do on the UKCISA website 

Can I stay in the UK after I graduate?

The date your student visa ends depends on the length of your course. Make sure you know when your visa is due to expire so you can plan your next steps accordingly.

You may be able to extend your student visa if you’re eligible, for example, to continue your studies in the UK. You may also be able to switch to another type of visa if you want to stay and work in the UK. 

Visit our after your studies pages to learn more about your options after you graduate. 

Where can I find more information?

If you are looking for the latest updates and advice about student visas in light of Covid-19, visit our Covid-19 information page

Many British Council offices run pre-departure briefings for students who are due to travel to the UK. At these events, you can find out more about everything you need to prepare, and you may pick up some helpful tips for applying for your visa. Check our events page or visit your local British Council website to find an event near you. 


If you are looking for a reliable, helpful visa agency to help you with your student visa needs, you won’t go wrong with Touriago. It is a new agency built on providing personable, reliable service which every student will appreciate.

Check out what information you should gather for a trip overseas. There comes a moment when you realize that you would like to travel abroad but how can you travel outside the country if you do not have a way to leave? If you are always curious about traveling and viewing different places, there could come this question in your mind. What is it that you’re missing? ​

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *