student visa in denmark

If you are planning to study in Denmark, this article will provide you with some useful information about visa requirements for students. Denmark is a popular study destination for international students. The country has good universities in many disciplines. The tuition fees in Denmark are also very low compared to other European countries and the U.S. However, many international students choose to study in Denmark because it is a beautiful place with friendly expatriates and foreigners alike.

One of the most important things on the list, when you want to study abroad, is getting accepted. One of the requirements that may help you get into a college in a country outside of Denmark, is receiving an approved study visa. For most countries this means having a student visa. Denmark is known as the happiest country in the world, and they also have one of the highest standards of living in all of Europe. Denmark, with its breathtaking countryside and serene cities, has a lot to offer to anyone looking for educational opportunities abroad.

When it comes to moving to Denmark, the first thing that you need to do is find a job. The next thing you will want to do is figure out how to secure your visa and make sure that the government allows you to stay. This article will tell you how to acquire the student visa in Denmark.

If you’re planning on studying in Denmark, you might be wondering how to get a student visa.

You can apply for a student visa from within Denmark or from your home country. If you’re applying from within Denmark, you’ll need to be at least 18 years old and have enough money to support yourself in order to be granted a student visa. You’ll also need to provide proof that you have the right qualifications and sufficient funds for your stay.

If you’re applying from outside of Denmark, it’s important that you know that the application process will take approximately six months. The documents required vary depending on whether or not your country has any agreements with Denmark regarding student visas.

If you want more information about applying for a student visa in Denmark, check out our guide!

If you’re looking to study in Denmark, one of the most important things you need to consider is your visa.

Denmark has strict rules and regulations regarding student visas. In order to be eligible for a student visa in Denmark, you must:

-Be at least 18 years old

-Have a valid passport from your home country

-Have sufficient funds to support your stay in Denmark (about $3,000 per month)

If you’re planning a study abroad program in Denmark, the most important thing to do before you leave is to get your visa. The Danish government requires international students to have a visa in order to study in the country. Here’s what you need to know about getting a visa for Denmark:

  1. You’ll need to apply for your student visa from your home country
  2. You must apply for your visa before you arrive in Denmark
  3. It can take up to two months for the Danish embassy in your home country to process your application
  4. You must meet certain requirements in order to qualify for a student visa
  5. If you want to stay longer than 90 days, you will need an extension on top of this initial 90-day visa period

Breakdown of the application process

We’ve broken down the process of applying for a residence permit into eight easy-to-follow steps:

  1. Accept a place at a publicly-accredited Danish institution: You might need to pay an enrollment fee to secure your place, but this will depend on the university.
  2. Use the online portal to create a new case order ID: You’ll need to enter information including your full name, email address, and passport number.
  3. Pay the application fee: You won’t be able to progress with your application until your payment has been received.
  4. Gather documentation: Having the requested documents on-hand will make the application process much easier. We’ve outlined exactly what you’ll need in the section below.
  5. Fill in the application form: Both you and your university will need to complete sections of the ST1 form. This can be done online or you can download a paper copy.
  6. Submit your application: If you apply through the online portal, your application will be automatically submitted. If you’ve completed a paper form, you’ll need to take this to the nearest diplomatic mission or application center in your home country.
  7. Record your biometric data: You must have your biometric features (photograph, fingerprints, and signature) recorded at a Danish diplomatic mission, application center, or police station within 14 days of submitting your application. It’s important to schedule an appointment in advance.
  8. Await a decision: You’ll usually receive a decision within two months.

Required documents

To be eligible for a Danish study permit, you must submit every piece of the requested documentation. If anything is missing or falsified, your application will probably be rejected.

Here’s what you’ll need:

  • A formal letter of admission from your university
  • A detailed breakdown of your academic program
  • A valid passport and passport-style photos
  • Completed ST1 form
  • Proof of English or Danish language proficiency (this will depend on what language you’ll be studying in)
  • Evidence that you have the financial resources to live in Denmark
  • Details of your living arrangements
  • Receipt of application fee payment
  • Proof of travel insurance

Denmark student visa processing time

In general, it takes around 2 months or 60 days for your application to be processed. So, it’s best to save yourself plenty of time to allow for this.

However, processing times can be longer depending on your nationality. For instance, students from countries like Nigeria, Pakistan, Kenya, and Ghana may have to wait for up 6 months.

Checking these details well before you apply will ensure you don’t miss any deadlines.

Can your family come with you to Denmark?

Your loved ones can individually apply for residence permits as accompanying family members, but you’ll need to prove that you have sufficient funds to support them (DKK 6,243 per month). These permits are normally valid for the same amount of time as your student permit.

To qualify for this permit, family members must be able to prove their relation to you with a marriage or birth certificate. They must also reside at the same address as you.

To give you time to settle in Denmark, accompanying family members permits usually entitle entry to the country a month before your studies begin.

Can you work while studying?

The hours you can work as an international student in Denmark will depend on the country you’re from and the time of the year.

If you’re from outside of the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, you can work up to 20 hours per week between September and May, and 37 hours per week during the months of June, July, and August. These permissions are already granted to you through your residence permit, so you won’t need to apply for a separate work permit.

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals can work as much as they like throughout the year to supplement their studies.

What to do if your residence permit application is rejected

Having your application refused can be disheartening, but there are some steps you can take to get your study abroad plans back on track.

You can appeal to the immigration appeals board within eight weeks of receiving your refusal letter. There is no specific appeal format, but your letter or email must include:

  • Your full name
  • Nationality
  • Case number
  • Date of the refusal
  • Copy of your rejection letter

You’ll be charged a fee for your appeal, but the exact amount will depend on your nationality.

If you’d rather not follow the formal appeal channel but have new information you’d like the authorities to consider, you could ask for your case to be reopened. Failing this, you can submit an entirely new application at any point.

Supporting Documents for Denmark Student Visa Application

When applying for a Danish student visa, you will be asked to provide the following supporting documents:

  • Proof that you paid the fee to SIRI. Attach the payment receipt.
  • Copy of your passport (all pages).
  • Letter of acceptance. You must submit the acceptance letter as proof that you are enrolled in an educational institution in your home country (if you are a guest or exchange student).
  • Proof of finances. You must be able to prove that you can support yourself financially during your time in Denmark.

How Long Can I Stay in Denmark With a Student Visa?

You can stay in Denmark for the duration of your education program, provided that you participate actively in it.  If you do not complete the program within this period, you must apply for an extension of your permit. Your permit can be extended for a maximum of one year. If you prolong your studies due to pregnancy or parental leave, your permit can be extended for a maximum of two years.

Can I Work in Denmark With a Student Visa?

Yes, as an international student in Denmark, you can work:

  • Part-time (20 hours per week) during the normal period of study from September to May.
  • Full-time through June, July, and August.

Note: If you work more hours than you are allowed to, it will be considered illegal work. In this case, you will receive a warning, a fine, or your student residence permit will be revoked. 

Can My Family Come With Me?

If you receive a student permit, your family members can apply for a Denmark family visa. If they are granted a permit, they can stay in Denmark for the same period as you. 

Can I Extend a Denmark Student Visa?

You can apply for an extension of your Denmark student visa if:

  • You have been delayed in your studies.
  • You were granted a shorter permit due to your passport expiration.

If you apply for an extension in time, you can stay in Denmark and continue your studies and work while SIRI processes your extension application. You must apply for an extension at least four months before your study permit expires. The conditions for an extension are:

  • You must continue to be enrolled in your higher education program.
  • You must be an active student.
  • You must be able to support yourself financially.

How Can I Stay in Denmark After I Graduate?

If you complete a higher education program in Denmark, you can be granted a residence permit of six months to look for work. The job-seeking period allows you to find a job in Denmark after your studies. If, during this period, you are offered a job, you must apply for a new residence and work permit. 

How To Get PR (Permanent Residence) In Denmark After Student Visa?

You cannot get a permanent residence permit immediately after a student visa. To qualify for a permanent residence permit in Denmark, you must meet the requirements:

  • You need to be over the age of 18.
  • You must have eight years of legal residency in Denmark.
  • You must have had a job for at least three years and six months.
  • You must meet the requirements for your current residence permit
  • You must have no criminal records 
  • You must have no overdue public debts.
  • You must not have received certain forms of social benefits.
  • You need to accept a declaration of residence and self-support.
  • You must be currently employed.
  • You must not have worked against the establishment of your identity.
  • You must pass the Danish language test.

Note: If you do not meet all the requirements for a permanent residence permit, you can apply for an extension of your current residence permit instead. 

Health Insurance for Students in Denmark

The Danish welfare system allows international students to receive free medical care during their studies in Denmark. Students who stay for more than three months can get a social security or registration number (a CPR number). This will entitle them to use the National Danish Health Service and receive free medical treatment in clinics and hospitals.

After receiving a health insurance card, a GP (General Practitioner) will be assigned to you. Once you are done with your studies and want to leave Denmark, you must return the medical card to the local citizen service center.  


If you’re a non-EU, EEA or Swiss citizen hoping to study abroad in Denmark for over three months, you’ll need to apply for a student residence permit up to six months before you arrive.

Residence permits take around two months to process and a fee of DKK1,900 (€255) is charged. The residence permit is valid for the duration of your program, so you don’t need to worry about reapplying.

If you’re an EU, EEA, or Swiss national, you’re free to live and study in Denmark without a visa or residence permit. You’ll just need to request an EU residence document once you enter the country.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *