student visa in australia without show money

Are you a student with the primary goal of studying and earning a degree in Australia? An Australian student visa is what you need.

The student visa is granted to individuals supported by government in getting international undergraduate or postgraduate education. Having a student visa will make it possible to live in Australia for four years as well as study while being exposed to the Australian culture and economy. Becoming a student in Australia is best suited for those individuals who are willing to learn English and gain education certification from an accreditation body of the country. You can choose one of the universities or institutes that offer quality education from a reputable institution. Once your application has been approved, you will be allowed to do business and employment that does not exceed 20 hours per week.

The requirements of an Australian student visa are different from those of the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. In order to apply for a student visa in Australia, it is mandatory for students to not only show their acceptance into an Australian university, but also that they have the financial means (money) needed to support themselves while studying. This article takes you through what you need to succeed in applying for your student visa and the documents required.

If you are wondering how to get a student visa in Australia without showing money, we can help.

You may be surprised to know that there are actually many ways to apply for a student visa in Australia without showing money. In fact, many students from all over the world are able to study in Australia without having to show any money at all.

The first thing you should know about getting a student visa for Australia is that it’s different from other countries. You will not be required to show any evidence of funds or savings in order to obtain your student visa. Instead, you will need to meet certain eligibility requirements and then apply for your visa as soon as possible after being accepted into an approved course of study at an accredited institution.

If you have already been accepted into a program of study and have received an offer letter from the school, then this will serve as proof that you have been accepted into an accredited institution and are eligible for a student visa. You’ll also need some other documents like proof of identity and health insurance before applying for your student visa.

If you are planning to study in Australia, you’ll need a student visa. In order to be eligible for a student visa, you must prove to the Australian government that you have enough money to support yourself while studying there.

You can prove this by showing them that you have enough money in your bank account to cover your expenses while studying in Australia. The amount of money required depends on how long you plan to stay in Australia and what type of coursework you will be doing (there are different requirements for courses that are classified as “short courses” versus those which are classified as long courses).

If you’re not sure how much money you need, then use our calculator below!

How to Apply for Student Visa in Australia Without Showing Money

A student visa is a type of temporary visa that allows you to study in Australia. If you have been accepted at an Australian college, university or other educational institution, then you can apply for a student visa.

If you are planning to study in Australia, then you should know how to apply for a student visa without showing money. Here’s what you need to know about applying for a student visa in Australia without showing money:

You will need to have enough money to support yourself while you study in Australia. The amount that you must show will depend on how long your course is and whether or not you have family members who can support themselves financially while they are studying. If your family members do not have enough money, then they may also need to show funds as part of their application.

Do I need to show my bank account for a Student Visa application? How much money do I need to have?

This is a bit tricky question. Every applicant for a Student Visa in Australia is required to state in their application, how are they going to support themselves financially while studying in Australia, but not every applicant has to provide evidence of available funds.

Depending on your country of passport and the course you are applying for, you may need to provide the evidence upfront. If you are not sure, feel free to contact us and we will confirm with our registered migration agent whether that will be your case.

So-called ‘show money’ for a Student Visa in Australia depends on how long is the course you are applying for. It’s capped at 1 year – so you don’t need to show more even if you are applying for a 2-, 3- or 4-year course.

This is how it’s calculated: Living costs + Course Fees + Travel Costs

At the moment:

1-year living costs are $21,041 AUD. If you will be applying for a Student Visa with your partner, add another $7,362 AUD. Applying with a child will further increase the required financial capacity.

Course fees depend on the school you will choose, the duration of your course and how much have you pre-paid already. Use the first 12 months of your course fees. If your course is 12 months or less, use the total cost. Deduct any costs you have already paid.

Travel costs depend on your home country and whether you are applying in Australia or overseas: If applying outside Australia, include $2,000 AUD for most of the countries. If applying in Australia, include $1,000 AUD for most of the countries.

Who can show funds for a Student Visa in Australia and how?

If you are required to provide the evidence upfront (we recommend doing this even if you are not required to), providing a scan or a PDF of your bank statement may be sufficient and certified copies are ideal. If the money is in a bank account of your relative(s), provide their bank account statement(s) and a letter confirming that you will have access to these funds. All our applicants get a free template of the financial capacity letter.

Aside from savings, you can also provide financial capacity via an ongoing income if your parents or spouse earn over $62,000 AUD per year.

As with all questions related to a Student Visa, we recommend you to check the website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs for more information. This checklist is really helpful.

Documentary evidence of financial capacity

Where you need to provide evidence of financial capacity, you will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:

  • 12 months of funds option:
    • Provide evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months living, course and (for school aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
    • If you are coming to Australia for a short course, you will only need to show evidence of funds for the intended period of stay.
  • Annual income option:
    • Provide evidence that you meet the annual income requirement.
  • Secondary exchange students:
    • Provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form (secondary exchange students only).
  • Foreign Affairs or Defence students:
    • Provide a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.

If you are using the 12 months fund option to demonstrate financial capacity, an accurate calculation of funds is required. Below is an outline of the funds to calculate. The type of evidence includes money deposit or loan with an approved financial institution, government loan, scholarship or sponsorship.

Annual Income Option

The annual income option requires students to provide evidence of personal annual income of at least AUD62,222. For students accompanied by family members the amount is AUD72,592. The income demonstrated must be the personal income of your spouse (who is not travelling with you) or parents. In circumstances where both of your parents are working, their combined income can be considered for this requirement. In all cases, the evidence of annual income must be provided in the form of official government documentation, such as a tax assessment.

Where our online application system indicates that documentary evidence of financial capacity is required, it is important that you attach these documents to your visa application prior to lodgement. Failure to do so may result in visa refusal.

Student Visa Funds Calculator

You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you to pay for your course fees, travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia.

Genuine access to funds

You and your accompanying family members must demonstrate that you will have access to the funds while you are in Australia.

Some examples of how to evidence genuine access include:

  • When another person or business is providing funds, show evidence of the relationship and any history of financial support provided to the student or any other students. It is also good practice to provide identity documents for the person providing the funds or evidence that the business is currently operating.
  • If relying on a money deposit, any recent large deposits must be explained. You may also consider explaining ongoing deposits – like wages.
  • If you have an education loan to cover tuition fees or living expenses (such as accommodation) disbursement should occur according to the agreement between the bank, provider and yourself. Evidence of any disbursement which occurs before the visa application has been finalised, should be provided. Evidence of the terms of the loan and the full amount of the loan that will be disbursed should be attached.
    • Providers should be aware of the conditions placed on the education loan. Some loans offer deferred repayment against future earnings of the student and are conditional on the student studying only the stipulated course as that provider.
  • If you are relying on another type of loan, you may consider showing evidence of collateral used to get the loan, the terms of the agreement and capacity to cover ongoing costs. The best evidence of genuine access for a loan is full disbursement.

12 months of funds option – calculation of funds

Living cost amounts

Currently, the 12 month living cost is:

  • student/guardian – AUD21,041
  • partner/spouse – AUD7,362
  • child – AUD3,152.

Course fees

Calculate the first 12 months of your course fees or include the total cost of your course if it is for a duration of 12 months or less. Deduct any prepaid costs and provide evidence of these payments (this should be on your Confirmation of Enrolment or provide receipts).

If you are in Australia and your course has already commenced, calculate the course fee payable for the 12 month period commencing from the date on which you lodge your application.

Example 1: if your course fee is AUD50,000 for three years, determine the fee for one year (12 months) by dividing the total amount by the number of years. The amount will be AUD16,666. Deduct any pre-paid amounts.

Example 2: If your course fee is AUD15,000 for ten months, and you have already paid AUD5,000, deduct this prepaid amount from the total amount. The amount will be AUD10,000.

Example 3: if your course fee is AUD20,000 for 18 months, determine the fee for one year (12 months) by dividing the total amount by the number of months, then times by 12 (20,000 / 18 x 12). The amount will be AUD13,333. Deduct any pre-paid amounts.

Schooling costs

Where school aged children are included in your student visa application, schooling costs of AUD8,296 per year for each child will need to be added to the amount of funds that is required. This amount is the minimum required for a visa application only and you are responsible for researching schooling costs, which may vary widely between states, territories and schools in Australia.

You do not have to provide evidence of schooling costs if you are:

  • a PhD student and can show you have enrolled your child in an Australian government school where the fees have been waived
  • received an Australian Commonwealth Government scholarship, including Foreign Affairs and Defence sponsored students, and you can show you have enrolled your child in a government school where the fees have been waived.

Travel costs

If applying outside Australia, include AUD2,000 (except if applying from East or Southern Africa, include AUD2,500; West Africa include AUD3,000).

If applying in Australia, include AUD1,000 (except if returning to Africa, include AUD1,500).

Am I eligible for a Student visa?

Family members of students

Family members of existing student visa holders will need to apply for a subclass 500 visa if they do not currently hold a student visa and wish to join you in Australia.

Generally, the same level of evidentiary requirements of financial capacity applied to primary applicants (students) would apply to your family members, including subsequent dependants.

In all circumstances, our officers have discretion to ask for further evidence of funds, if required.


You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you to pay for your course fees, travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *