student visa for usa latest news

The US government wants to attract the brightest minds from around the world, regardless of country of origin. While many people are already aware of the numerous benefits offered by the J-1 visa program, it has not made a big impact on student travel because the application process is complicated. The most recent update to J-1 regulations seeks to simplify the application process so more international students will have their chance to study in the US. This could be a win for both students and colleges in 2017.

In the United States, student visas are known as F-1 visas. If you are interested in studying in the United States and want to apply for an F-1 visa, make sure that you check out Here, you can find information about the application process for student visas to study in the USA, requirements for applying for a student visa and schools accepting student visa holders.

Student visa for the United States is a complex process. The student visa process can take several months, and many people are not aware of the steps they need to take in order to obtain a student visa.

The first step in obtaining a student visa is applying for admission at an American school. Once you have been accepted, you must complete the DS-160 online application form. This form asks questions about your personal information and financial ability to pay for your education. You will need to upload various documents such as your passport information, financial records, and proof of acceptance by an accredited institution.

Once you have submitted all required documents, you will receive an email with instructions for scheduling an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country. During this interview, you will be asked questions about why you want to study in America, where you plan to live while studying here, what types of activities you plan on participating in while here (such as volunteering), etc. If everything checks out during this interview then congratulations! You have now successfully applied for a student visa that allows entry into America as well as gives permission for you stay here long enough to finish your program(s).

As the number of international students studying in the United States continues to grow, it’s important to keep up with the changing laws and requirements for student visas.

Here are some of the most recent updates to the student visa process:

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) will be replaced by a new system called International Student Information System (ISIS). The new system is expected to be released in 2020, but until then, SEVIS will continue to be used.

The International Entrepreneur Rule, which allows foreign entrepreneurs who meet certain criteria to apply for a special visa, has been rescinded. Those who had already applied for this visa will still be allowed to stay in the US.

There are now two different types of F-1 visas: one that requires an academic program at an approved institution, and one that does not require an academic program at an approved institution. Students who have already begun their studies with an F-1 visa should contact their school’s international office as soon as possible so they can determine whether their visa requires them to enroll in a full course load or not.

Gather Required Documentation

Gather and prepare the following required documents before your visa interview:

  • Passport valid for travel to the United States – Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). Each individual who needs a visa must submit a separate application, including any family members listed in your passport.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students, Form I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students, Form I-20 – Your school will send you a Form I-20 once they have entered your information in the SEVIS database. You and your school official must sign the Form I-20.  All students must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS). Your spouse and/or minor children, if they intend live in the United States with you, will each receive an individual Form I-20.

Additional Documentation May Be Required

A consular officer will interview you to determine your qualifications for a student visa, and may request additional documents, such as evidence of:

  • Your academic preparation, such as:
    • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended; and
    • Standardized test scores required by your U.S. school;
  • Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study; and
  • How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs. 

Review the instructions for how to apply for a visa on the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will apply.

Attend Your Visa Interview

A consular officer will interview you to determine whether you are qualified to receive a student visa. You must establish that you meet the requirements under U.S. law to receive a visa.

Ink-free, digital fingerprint scans are taken as part of the application process. They are usually taken during your interview, but this varies based on location.

After your visa interview, the consular officer may determine that your application requires further administrative processing.  The consular officer will inform you if this is required.

After the visa is approved, you may need to pay a visa issuance fee (if applicable to your nationality), and make arrangements for the return of the passport and visa to you.  Review the visa processing times to learn more.

Entering the United States

A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States.  A visa only allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (generally an airport) and request permission to enter the United States. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port-of-entry have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States.  

After you present your passport, visa, and Form I-20 at the port-of-entry, a CBP official will make this decision.  Once you are allowed to enter the United States, the CBP official will provide an admission stamp or paper Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record.  

Learn about procedures for students (with F or M visas) entering the United States on the CBP website under Arrival Procedures for Students or Exchange Visitors.  Learn about admissions and entry requirements, restrictions about bringing food, agricultural products, and other restricted/prohibited goods, and more by reviewing the CBP website.

Extending Your Stay

Foreign students in the United States with F visas must depart the United States within 60 days after the program end date listed on Form I-20, including any authorized practical training.

Foreign students may request an extension through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website (see the USCIS Extend Your Stay page). Additional information to maintain student status is on the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement SEVP website under Maintaining Your Immigration Status While a Student or Exchange Visitor.

Failure to depart the United States on time will result in being out of status. Under U.S. law, visas of individuals who are out of status are automatically voided (Section 222(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act).  Any multiple entry visa that was voided due to being out of status will not be valid for future entries into the United States. 

Failure to depart the United States on time may also result in you being ineligible for visas in the future. Review Visa Denials and Ineligibilities and Waivers: Laws to learn more.

Change of Status

If your plans change while in the United States (for example, you marry a U.S. citizen or receive an offer of employment), you may be able to request a change in your nonimmigrant status to another category through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). See Change My Nonimmigrant Status on the USCIS website to learn more.

While you are in the United States, receiving a change of status from USCIS does not require you to apply for a new visa.  However, once you depart the United States you must apply for a new visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the appropriate category for your travel.

New Delhi: 

Those who have been refused a F-1 Student Visa before will not be able to get a slot when the appointment applications open this summer, Minister Counsellor for Consular Affairs at the US embassy, Donald L Heflin said on Wednesday.

During the 45 minute live chat on the web page of the US consulate general in Delhi, Mr Heflin said the summer season for student visa will open in June and first half of July.

“We want the summer season to be for fresh applicants. People who have never applied before, students who have just finished high school and want to go for graduation studies or students who have just graduated and want to go for Masters. This summer when we open for appointments, if you have been refused before, you will not get a slot,” Mr Heflin said.

“Later in the summer from August 15 to September 1, around 15,000 appointments will be available for people who have either been refused this summer or last year. I know a lot of people are freaking out about it but we have been shut down for long in view of the pandemic. We didn’t have bunch of people who have been refused before applying again, we have got a lot of them now … hence the decision,” he said.

Mr Heflin said that eight lakh US visas were likely to be issued in 12 months in India in what he hoped to be a recovery year for visa operations since the disruptions caused by COVID-19.

The United States of America has one of the most robust economies coloured in diversity. Given the access to global opportunities and a better quality of life, it has been an attractive destination for Indians for decades. U.S. is the biggest economy, accounting for 24% share of world’s GDP and has a fair and welcoming immigration system. Indians migrate to the U.S. to improve their economic prospects and seek better educational opportunities, employment opportunities, and livelihood.


  • There is no guarantee you will be issued a visa. Do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have a visa.
  • For information about working in the United States during your study, review Students and Employment and Form I-765 Work Authorization Instructions on the USCIS website.
  • If you have a temporary break in your study, view the information on the SEVP website under Do Students Returning from Temporary Absences Need New Visas? If your student visa is still valid, but you are outside the United States, you should consult with your Designated School Officials. 
  • Spouse and children
    • Your spouse and unmarried, minor children who intend to reside with you during your study may apply for F-2 or M-2 visas. Although SEVIS fee payment is not required, your school must issue them an individual Form I-20, which is required to apply for their visas. You must provide a copy of your F-1 or M-1 visa and provide proof of relationship.
    • Your minor children are permitted to attend school in the United States while accompanying you.
    • U.S. Embassies and Consulates will adjudicate visa applications that are based on a same-sex marriage in the same way that we adjudicate applications for opposite gender spouses.
  • A valid U.S. visa in an expired passport is still valid. Unless canceled or revoked, a visa is valid until its expiration date. If you have a valid visa in your expired passport, do not remove it from your expired passport. You may use your valid visa in your expired passport along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *